Find a complete list of Dr. Madhavan’s published work here:
Selected publications are highlighted below.
Neural plasticity after brain injury using neuroimaging:
- Madhavan S, Rogers L and Stinear JW. A paradox: after stroke the non-lesioned lower limb motor cortex may be maladaptive. European Journal of Neuroscience. 2010. 32: 1032-39. Featured Article.
- Madhavan S, Krishnan C. Jayaraman A, Rymer Z and Stinear JW. Corticospinal tract integrity correlates with knee extensor weakness in chronic stroke survivors. Clinical Neurophysiology. 2011. 122(8):1588-94
- Madhavan S, Campbell SK, Campise-Luther R, Gaebler-Spira D, Zawacki L, Clark A, Boynewicz K, Kale D, Bulanda M, Yu J, Sui Y, and Zhou XJ. Correlation Between Fractional Anisotropy and Motor Outcomes in One-Year-Old Infants with Periventricular Brain Injury. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2014. 39(4):949-57
Cortical priming to enhance motor recovery post stroke:
- Madhavan S and Stinear JW. Focal and bidirectional modulation of lower limb motor cortex using anodal transcranial direct current stimulation. Brain Stimulation. 2010. 3(1): 41-50
- Rogers LM, Madhavan S, Roth H and Stinear JW. Transforming neurorehabilitation of walking following stroke: The promise of non-invasive brain stimulation. Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience 2011 29(6):507-16.
- Madhavan S, Weber II KA, and Stinear JW. Non-invasive brain stimulation enhances fine motor control of the hemiparetic ankle: Implications for rehabilitation. Experimental Brain Research. 2011. 209(1) :9-17
- Devanathan D and Madhavan S. Effects of anodal tDCS of the lower limb M1 on ankle reaction time in young adults. Experimental Brain Research. 234 (2) 2015
Therapeutic interventions for motor recovery:
- Bethoux F, Rogers H, Abrams GM, Annaswamy T, Arora KA, Brastater M, Browne B, Burnfield J, Feng W, Gies C, Greenberg J, Gudeblatt M, Heinze E, Jayaraman A, Lutsep H, Madhavan S, Pease W, Wallis A, Kufta C. The Effects of Peroneal Nerve Functional Electrical Stimulation Versus Ankle-Foot Orthosis in Patients With Chronic Stroke: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair. 2014 28(7):688-97
- Bethoux F, Rogers HL, Nolan KJ, Abrams GM, Annaswamy TM, Brandstater M, Browne B, Burnfield JM, Feng W, Freed MJ, Geis C, Greenberg J, Gudesblatt M, Ikramuddin F, Jayaraman A, Kautz SA, Lutsep HL, Madhavan S, Meilahn J, Pease WS, Rao N, Seetharama S, Sethi P, Turk MA, Wallis RA, Kufta C. Long-Term Follow-up to a Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Peroneal Nerve Functional Electrical Stimulation to an Ankle Foot Orthosis for Patients With Chronic Stroke. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair. 2015. 29(10):911-22
- Oomiyale O, Crowell C, Madhavan S. Effect of Wii-based balance training on corticomotor excitability post stroke. Journal of Motor Behavior. 2014 25:1-11
- Campbell SK, Cole WC, Boynewicz K, Zawacki L, Clark A, Kale D, B and Madhavan S. Target kicking accuracy in infants with periventricular brain insults: does early experience matter? Physiotherapy. 2015; 101:e195.
Dynamic control of the lower limb:
- Madhavan S and Shields RK. Influence of Age on Dynamic Position Sense: Evidence using a sequential movement task. Experimental Brain Research. 2005. 164(1):18-28.
- Madhavan S and Shields RK. Weight Bearing Exercise Accuracy Influences Muscle Activation Strategies of the Knee. Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy. 2007. 31:12-19
- Madhavan S and Shields RK. Movement accuracy changes muscle activation strategies in female subjects during a novel single leg weight bearing task. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2009. 1(4): 319-328
- Madhavan S and Shields RK. Influence of Age on Neuromuscular Control During a Dynamic Weight Bearing Task. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. 2009. 17(3): 327-43